Yesterday the Scaffolding Association Queensland held it’s Annual General Meeting for 2018. What a great morning it was!
We were entertained and inspired by our Special Guest Speaker, Scott Hutchinson from Hutchinson Builders. Scott joined us to tell us the Hutchies story, how they came to be one of the biggest and best builders in Australia, his own history as a scaffolder in England, the secrets to Hutchies success and “The Hutchies Way.”
Here is an overview of what was discussed and presented at our Annual General Meeting for 2018.
- Labour Hire Licencing Act, Industrial Manslaughter laws and the Building Industry Fairness (Security of Payment) Act 2017 – Jonathon Hadley from Gadens Lawyers joined us to enlighten us on what these laws are, how they apply to our industry and tips for compliance to these laws.
- Scaffolding industry issues and opportunities and an overview of the Herston Quarter project – James Andersen from Watpac joined us to inform us about the Herston Quarter project and also a builders perspective of the scaffolding industry.
- Managing Silica Dust in the Workplace – Bradley Geinitz from the Office of Industrial Relations Qld also joined us to present on Silica Dust in the workplace; what it is, the dangers it presents and how to manage it. This was very topical and informative for our members as this is an issue that is becoming more pressing in our industry.
- We held the election of the SAQ Management Committee and we would like to thank our committee members for committing their time voluntarily to the mission and goals of the SAQ.
- Our President, Rob Thiess, went through what we have achieved in the past 12 months and our plans for the next 12 months.
- Rob also updated us on the Scaffolding Code of Practice that is currently under review, information on Building Information Modelling (BIM), fire retardant containment and then opened the floor for General Business.
If you want to stay up to date on what’s happening in the scaffolding industry in Queensland, join us. For information on the full range of benefits available to members, download our SAQ Membership Information.
If you’re involved in the scaffolding industry in Queensland, big or small, the SAQ is here for you.