We would like to thank all of our guest presenters and the members who attended our first General Meeting for 2019, what a great morning packed full of interesting and relevant information about our industry!
Here’s an overview of what was discussed and presented at this General Meeting:
- Suicide Prevention in the Construction Industry – Jorgen Gullestrup, CEO Qld & NT for MATES in Construction.
Following the recent tragic passing of a respected member of our industry, the SAQ thought it would be a good idea to have MATES in Construction come along to our first General Meeting for 2019, to help guide our members through this tragic event, and to advise on the work that MATES currently do in the construction industry.
MATES is an independent construction industry charity which was established by the BERT fund and their primary mission is to prevent suicide in the construction industry. MATES is supported by both employers and unions and is invited onto sites by either or both of these parties.
Their philosophy is in “Mates helping Mates.” MATES understands that the person suffering often can’t or won’t reach out for help because of the stigma surrounding mental health, so if their mates know the signs to look out for, they can encourage them and offer help.
- Mentally Healthy Workplaces – Jennie Hunter, Principal Advisor, Psychological Health Unit from Workplace Health & Safety Qld. Jennie joined us to inform our members about the Mentally Healthy Workplaces toolkit, training and workshops.
- WHSQ News and Advice, focusing on the scaffolding industry – Peter Rees, Lead Inspector South West Gold Coast, Construction Compliance and Field Services.
Peter joined us today to give us a Work Health and Safety Refresher, focusing on the following:
- Compliance monitoring and enforcement policy
- Scaffold erection methods
- Overhead electric lines
- Swing stages
Peter had loads of really great advice to give our members focusing on the issues WHSQ regularly find on worksites and opportunities of how to work better and safer.
- Scaflog Software Solutions for scaffolding businesses – Steve Shepherd, founder and creator of Scaflog.
Scaflog has recently come on board as Associate Members of the SAQ, and Steve Shepherd joined us today to take us through his software solution for scaffolding business, Scaflog
- SAQ News and Information – President of the SAQ, Rob Thiess, presented on the following topics:
- Scaffolding Code of Practice Review – Update
- Fire Retardant Scaffolding Containment – AS 1576.7 update
- Technical Guidance Documents from the SAQ
- AS/NZS 1576.1:2019 – Scaffolding General Requirements, reviewed and presentation of changes and updates to this standard
NEW MEMBER BENEFIT! This year the SAQ has started filming General Meetings which are available to members on YouTube. This is especially useful for members who are unable to attend on the day, including our regional members. These recordings are also great for members to use as a refresher on what they learned that day, or to circulate to members of their staff.
If you want to stay up to date on what’s happening in the scaffolding industry in Queensland, join us. If you want to get your product or service in front of the scaffolding industry in Queensland, contact us today to inquire about our advertising opportunities.